Frequently Asked Questions About Botox®
BOTOX® Cosmetic is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar or 11 lines) in people 18 to 65 years of age for a short period of time.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is administered by a healthcare professional as a simple, non surgical treatment that is injected directly into the muscles between the brows. It works by blocking nerve impulses to the injected muscles. This reduces muscle activity that causes moderate to severe lines to form between the brows. Individual results may vary.
How does BOTOX® Cosmetic work?
BOTOX® Cosmetic is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to improve the look of the “11s”, the moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines). It works by blocking nerve impulses to the injected muscles. This reduces muscle activity that causes moderate to severe lines to form between the brows.
When will I see results from a BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment?
Within days, you may see a marked improvement in the moderate to severe frown lines between your brows. Lines continue to improve for up to 30 days, a results can last up to 4 months. Individuals results may vary.
How long does BOTOX® Cosmetic last?
Visible results have been shown to last up to 4 months. Your own results may vary - be sure to talk to Dr. Dean about what you can expect and when to schedule your next appointment.
Is treatment with BOTOX® Cosmetic painful?
Discomfort is usually minimal and brief. Prior to injection, Dr. Dean may choose to numb the area with a cold pack or anesthetic cream. The entire procedure takes approximately 10 minutes. Most patients are in and out of the office without downtime following BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment.
Side effects associated with the injection include localized pain, infection, inflammation, tenderness, swelling, redness, bleeding and/or bruising.
What will happen to the moderate to severe frown lines between my brows if I choose not to continue treatments?
If you do not continue treatments, the moderate to severe frown lines between your brows will gradually return to the way they looked before treatment.
Will I still be able to make facial expressions?
Although the results are visible, a treatment with BOTOX® Cosmetic (Botulinum Toxin A) will not radically change your facial appearance or make you look as if you’ve “had work done”. The muscle activity that causes frown lines between the brows is temporarily reduced, so you can still frown or look surprised without the wrinkles and creases between your brows.
Do treatment results differ?
Yes, individual results may vary. To get the best results, it’s important to go to a doctor who is experienced in administering BOTOX® Cosmetic.
Who should not take BOTOX® Cosmetic?
Do not take BOTOX® Cosmetic if:
• you are allergic to any of the ingredients in BOTOX® or BOTOX® Cosmetic. See the Medication Guide on the BOTOX® website for a list of ingredients in BOTOX® Cosmetic.
• had an allergic reaction to any other botulinum toxin product such as Myobloc or Dysport
• have a skin infection at the planned injection site
You should not be treated with BOTOX® Cosmetic if you have:
• a disease that affects your muscles and nerves (such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease), myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton syndrome). See “What is the most important information I should know about BOTOX® Cosmetic?” in the Medication Guide on the BOTOX® website.
• allergies to any botulinum toxin product
• had any side effect from any botulinum toxin product in the past
• a breathing problem, such as asthma or emphysema
• swallowing problems
• bleeding problems
• plans to have surgery
• had surgery on your face
• weakness of your forehead muscles, such as trouble raising your eyebrows
• drooping eyelids
• are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not know if BOTOX® Cosmetic can harm your unborn baby
• are breast-feeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if BOTOX® Cosmetic passes into breast milk.
What are the possible side effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic?
BOTOX Cosmetic can cause serious side effects. See “What is the most important information I should know about BOTOX® Cosmetic?” in Medication Guide on the Botox® website.
Other side effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic include:
• dry mouth
• discomfort or pain at the site of injection
• neck pain
• eye problems such as double vision, blurred vision, decreased eyesight, drooping eyelids, swelling of your eyelids, dry eyes
• allergic reactions; symptoms of an allergic reactions to BOTOX® Cosmetic may include: itching, rash, red itchy welts, wheezing, asthma symptoms, dizziness or feeling faint. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you are wheezing or have asthma symptoms, or if you become dizzy or faint.
Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
These are not all the possible side effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Information from www.BotoxCosmetic.com. Consult this website for further information.